Recommended Home Schooling Guidelines
Elementary Level Subjects
Below is OLGCS's recommended list of subjects for the Elementary School level, however, these are merely guidelines. Any subject can be introduced at an earlier or later time. You will recognize when your child is ready to learn a specific subject, or when he/she no longer needs practice with Phonics or Penmanship. Remember that you are the teacher. Ultimately, the decision is yours. You know your child better than anyone else.
- Religion, Math, Reading, Spelling, Geography: Daily lessons all elementary grade levels.
- Phonics: Kindergarten - 2nd grade
- Vocabulary: Beginning in 3rd or 4th grade
- Grammar: Beginning in 1st or 2nd grade
- Penmanship: Begin in Kindergarten
- History: Begin daily instructions in 3rd or 4th grade; instructions in Kindergarten through 2nd grades should be secondary to Religion, Reading, Math, Spelling and Phonics.
- Composition: Practice should begin as soon as the student is able to write his/her thoughts on paper. By 4th or 5th grade the student should be able to write a 1 page (typed) research paper, and by 7th and 8th grade, a 2 or 3 page (typed) paper.
- Physical Education: All children should engage in physical activity on a regular basis.
- Art, Music, Foreign Language: Are also appropriate for the elementary level.
- Cooking, Household Chores, Childcare: Each can easily be incorporated into any curriculum.
- Learning a Trade: If the opportunity exists, can be an important advantage to any student.
|« Back To Guidelines Main Page||Go To Next Topic: High School Subjects »|